Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 8 tsps olive oil
- 24 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 8 unsalted tortilla chips
- 64 fl oz low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup low sodium salsa
- 2-4 jalepeno peppers (optional)
Directions: Dice onion and mince garlic. In a large saucepan, diced onion, minced garlic, cumin in olive oil until the onion begins to soften. Cube chicken breast and add into saucepan, then add salsa. Cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, mushrooms, corn, and lime juice to the pan. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. Slice and add jalepenos for extra heat. Crumble tortilla chips on top. Makes 4 servings.
3 Ingredient No Bake Cereal Bars
- 2 cups of dry cereal (e.g. cheerios, rice krispies, life, - up to you!)
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. peanut butter (or almond/cashew butter)
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. sweetener of choice (e.g. brown rice syrup, maple syrup)
Directions: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the dry cereal. On the stovetop or in the microwave, melt the nut butter and sweetener. Pour into the dry cereal bowl and mix well. Pour the entire mixture onto the lined baking sheet and press firmly into place. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up. Cut bars to your preferred size.
Fruit & Flax Smoothie
- 1 peeled and sliced banana
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup peeled and sliced kiwi
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped pineapple
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal or chia seeds.
Directions: Cover and blend! Makes 2 smoothies.
Here are some cooking and baking substitution ideas from the American Institute for Cancer Research!
Please let Elisa know if you would like a copy of this flyer!
Oatmeal Raisin Bliss Bites
- 1 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup raisins
Directions: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until oats stick together and mixture is uniform. Using a rounded tablespoon, scoop oat mixture and roll tightly into bite-size balls, using your hands. Place bites on parchment paper. Freeze for 2 hours. Store in a freezer-safe container. Eat them defrosted or right out of the freezer! Makes 12 bites.
Per Serving (1 bite): 132 calories, 4 grams protein, 8 grams total fat (1 gram saturated fat, 4 grams monounsaturated fat, 3 grams polyunsaturated fat), 14 grams carbohydrates (5 grams sugar, 3 grams fiber), 2 milligrams sodium.